Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Merriment and an Advent House

Today is December 1st. The first official day in the countdown to Christmas (at least for me). The countdown to the day we celebrate Christ's birth. I adore the Christmas season! I love everything about it. I love celebrating the birth of my Savior as well as all the traditional merriment.

What do I love about this time of year!?! Let me list a few things:
  • The annual children's Christmas play at Church
  • Candlelight service and singing Silent Night
  • Ringing the bell for the Salvation Army
  • Caroling
  • Christmas music
  • Christmas movies ( Elf and Prancer happen to be my favorites)
  • Snow
  • Decorating and favorite decorations from years gone by
  • Shopping
  • Christmas cookies
  • Family traditions
  • Making a gingerbread house
  • Celebrations with family and friends
  • Puppy Christmas pictures
  • The magical glow of the lights on the Christmas tree
  • Opening the mailbox and finding Christmas cards
  • My Christmas dishes
  • The hussle and bussle felt in the air
  • The quiet times spent in prayer
  • Random acts of kindness
Oh my, I could go on and on. I'll have to come back and add to this list.

One of the decorations I love most is our Advent House. George bought it several years ago. I love that he bought it with our future grandkids in mind. How sweet is that!?! I love that it gets him as excited as a small child. I also love that it is a replica of the one from the famous movie "Christmas Vacation".
Tonight before dinner we will open the first door. It will be extra special since Jared will be here to share in this little tradition. He's been away at college for the last 5 years and isn't usually home that much. I'm so thankful that isn't the case this year!! Just one of many blessings to count.

2 comments:

  1. L.O.V.E. that pic of Fred & Barney! And I've always envied that advent house; it's gorgeous!

    Great holiday list!

    Judy@cutest-little-things

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is the advent house you were talking about. It is so pretty.

    Have a great family dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete