Sometimes you don't feel like making dinner...but your family is hungry...therefore you need to make dinner. In times like that, I reach for a simple recipe. A recipe that you pretty much just dump bags and cans of items together and cook. The fact that the outcome of dumping it all together is super yummy would be a bonus. A BIG bonus!!
Here's a recipe especially for one of "those nights" when you don't feel like putting much effort in to preparation.
- 1- 160z. bag of frozen homestyle meatballs
- 2- 140z. cans of beef broth
- 2- 14 1/2 oz. cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup diced potato (okay so actually have to cut the potato, but don't bother peeling it)
- 1 cup chopped onion (I usually have a container of chopped onion in my fridge at all times, so technically I can just open and dump this)
- 1- 1lb. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for serving
Literally throw all of the above ingredients (except for the parmesan cheese) into a large pot and simmer until potatoes are tender.
You can also think ahead and cook in a crockpot on low for 7-8 hours.
This soup tastes like it has simmered all day and is extremely satisfying comfort food. Give it a try the next time you need a quick and easy meal.
Oh and while you're at it, go ahead and make some "homemade" rolls. Rhodes frozen dinner rolls have directions for a speed method and are great baked in a cast iron skillet. Rub butter over the freshly baked rolls and try sprinkling with some of Penzey's Spice Sandwich Sprinkle. That stuff is seriously amazing!